21f Online Learning
The State of Michigan, under Section 21f of the State School Aid Act, has launched the choice for parents to request that their student(s), in grades 5-12, be enrolled in no more than two (2) online courses in place of a currently scheduled course.Tri County Area Schools supports online learning and as a district; we pride ourselves on innovative uses of technology to support learning. Keeping in line with our districts motto of helping every child achieve their best future, our goal is for academic accomplishment and student growth. We do, however, encourage parents to consider carefully if a 100% online course is ideal for their child given the fact that they will be forfeiting face-to-face interaction with a teacher.
Parents should carefully consider the unique qualities of their child when deciding if an online class is right for him/her. These factors include:
Can your student self-advocate to seek help within a virtual setting?
Can your student create and maintain a study schedule without the face-to-face instruction of a teacher?
Does your student possess independent study habits needed to complete an entire course online without direct supervision?
Does your student have the reading, writing, math and computer literacy skills to succeed in a class that is completely online?
Prerequisite: Permission of Counselor
Course Description:An interactive teacher directed internet connected learning environment, in which pupils are separated from their teachers by time/location. Beginning the 2015-16 school year, all 21F courses will be granted a letter grade.
Career Technical Centers
NCRESA offers our students afternoon classes ranging from Arts & Communication, to Cosmetology to Mechatronics or Welding! Bussing is provided, leaving TCHS at 11:25 am and arriving back on campus at 3:10 pm. Students must make arrangements for a ride home from the high school as this program arrives back to TCHS too late for our students to utilize our district bus program.
KCTC is located on East Beltline in Grand Rapids and offers a morning session in many different areas. Students are provided transportation from the high school (6:00 am departure time) to KCTC and back again.
Financial Aid Information
My EDP - Career Cruising
Post Secondary Education Opportunities
MTA - Montcalm Community College
The Michigan Transfer Agreement was designed to facilitate the transfer of general education requirements from one institution to another. Students may complete the MTA as part of an associates' degree or as a stand alone package at a Michigan Community College.
Starting in the 10th grade, students will work towards successfully completing at least 30 credits of coursework in six defined areas with at least a grade of a 2.0 in each.
When coursework requirements for meeting the MTA have been completed, the student may request that their transcript be posted MTA satisfied and must send an official copy to the four year institution.
Central Michigan University
Eastern Michigan University
Ferris State University
Grand Valley State University
Lake Superior State University
Michigan State University
Michigan Technical University
Saginaw Valley State University
University of Michigan—Ann Arbor
University of Michigan—Dearborn
University of Michigan—Flint
Wayne State University
Western Michigan University
4 Year Private Institutions
College for Creative Studies
Sacred Heart Major Seminary
Siena Heights University
College Course Transfer Equivalencies
Family Health Care - Child & Adolescent Health Center
11 N. Maple Street in Grant
Scholarship Search Engines:
We recommend you only use free college scholarship search tools.
*Students! Be sure to Connect to Mrs. Renner if you open an account so we can help you if you need it!*
January Scholarship Deadlines:
Grand Rapids Community Foundation Scholarships - Scholarship $ varies - Deadlines begin January 2018
Several scholarships are included in the GRCF application. Many are for students living in Kent County; however, some also include students living in other counties such as Montcalm and Newaygo. It includes a scholarship application for employees and dependents of Meijer as well. Available to students beginning in Jan of their senior year.
American Legion Dept of MI Scholarships - $500 - $18,000 - Deadlines begin January 2018
Scholarships are awarded based on various criteria outlined on the website. Included scholarships are:
- Boys State Samsung Scholarship
- Baseball Scholarships
- William D & Jewell Brewer Scholarship
- Oratorical Contest Scholarship
- Eagle Scout of the Year Scholarship
- Student Trooper Scholarship
- Guy M Wilson Scholarship
Lake Michigan Credit Union/Hutt Scholarship - $2000 (10 available) Deadline January 31, 2018
- All senior high school students are eligible for the program (except for LMCU employees, children of LMCU employees, directors or officers). All applicants must be a resident of Michigan or Florida, or a member of Lake Michigan Credit Union, or the child of a Lake Michigan Credit Union member (i.e. a student in Texas must be a member/child of a member to be eligible). Students must plan to enter a trade school, college or university in the next academic year. Recipients must submit evidence of acceptance and enrollment in an accredited trade school, college or university before payment will be made.
February Scholarship Deadlines:
American Farmers Grow Ag Scholarship - $1500 (352 available) - Deadline is February 1, 2018
America’s Farmers Grow Ag Leaders, sponsored by the Monsanto Fund, partners with farmers to award rural youth $1,500 scholarships to support their studies in ag-related fields after high school. Farmers play a fundamental role in Grow Ag Leaders by promoting the opportunity to local students and endorsing applications. This year, more than a half-million dollars in scholarships are available to high school seniors and college students in rural communities across the country. Grow Ag Leaders scholarships are available in a variety of fields including farming, agronomy, education, science, technology, business, communications and more.
CMU - Lem Tucker Scholarship - Deadline February 9, 2018
March Scholarship Deadlines:
GRBS Scholarship - $1000 - Deadline March 1, 2018
- Available through the counseling office Jan-Mar of your senior year.
Harry E. Tope Memorial Aviation Scholarship Fund - $3000 - Deadline March 2, 2018
- The student must be interested in advancing their education in the field of aviation or be interested in advancing their career skills in the field of aviation. The student must also be a resident of the Mid-Michigan Area (Isabella County, Gratiot County, Mecosta County, Clare County, Midland County or Montcalm County).
Phi Delta Kappa Scholarship - Deadline is March 2, 2018
Herbert H Lueth Scholarship - $1000 (five available) - Deadline March 2, 2018
- Open to HS seniors that are employees or dependents of an employee of Medler Electric Co.
Grand Rapids Community College Scholarship - Scholarship $ varies - Deadline March 15, 2018
- Open to high school senior during the winter of their senior year.
Michael W Jonkman Theatre Scholarship - Deadline is March 16, 2018
TCEA Scholarship - Deadline March 16, 2018
Flat River Community Players’ Scholarship - $500 - Deadline is March 17, 2018
- Open to high school or college students that plan on being involved in theatre during college. Available to students Jan-Mar of their senior year.
Spectrum Health United and Kelsey Hospitals Scholarship - Deadline is March 23, 2018
West Michigan Counseling Scholarship - Deadline is March 26, 2018
- Open to TCHS seniors and includes a 500-word essay. The application will be available to students Mar-Apr of their senior year.
Stanley & Blanche Ash Scholarship Application - Deadline is March 29, 2018
Students planning to attend Montcalm Community College must apply directly to MCC for the scholarship. Students planning to attend any other community college or 4-year college/university should turn their applications into the Tri County High School office.
Montcalm Panhandle Scholarship - Multiple Scholarships - Deadline is March 29, 2018
Community First Federal Credit Union Scholarship - Deadline is March 30, 2018
- Must be current, active member of Community 1st Credit Union.
- Must be a current high school senior. Must plan to enroll in the full-time undergraduate study at an accredited two- or four-year college, university or vocational-technical school for the entire 2017-2018 academic year. Must have a minimum grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale (or its equivalent).
ChoiceOne Bank Scholarship - Deadline is March 31, 2018
April Scholarship Deadlines:
Grand Rapids Foundation - Deadline is April 1, 2018
Michigan Retailers Association Scholarship - Deadline is April 2, 2018
Independent Bank of West MI Scholarship - $1000 - Deadline is April 9, 2018
- Open to high school seniors at TCHS and must include a 250-word essay. An application will be available to students Mar-Apr of their senior year.
Donald Vandenbos Sr Scholarship - $1000 (two available) - Deadline is April 13, 2018
- Applicants must be a high school senior. Preference will be given to graduates from educational institutions in the greater Montcalm County area. Applicants must be in or entering a field of study of conservation, wildlife, fisheries, or natural resources.
The Region 9 MEA-Retired Chapter Scholarship - Deadline is April 15, 2018
Northern Rocket Football League Scholarship - Deadline is April 20, 2018
9 & 10 News' Future Leader's Scholarship Competition - April 30, 2018
May Scholarship Deadlines:
2018 Law & Justice Scholarship - Deadline is May 31, 2018
July Scholarship Deadlines:
Groth & Associates Scholarship - Deadline July 31, 2018
SCHOLARSHIPS WAITING FOR INFORMATION:
Big Rapids Elks Lodge Scholarships - Scholarship $ varies
An application will be available through the counseling office during the student’s senior year.
Mercantile Bank Scholarship - $500 (two available)
High school seniors with at least a 3.5 GPA and outstanding community service that plan to attend a university or college in the fall are able to apply. Available to students Jan-Mar of their senior year.
This link includes fact sheets and forms for programs such as Tuition Incentive Program (TIP), Children of Veterans Tuition Grant, Fostering Futures Scholarship, Michigan Competitive Scholarship, as well as many others.
Cornerstone University Business Camp - August 1-3, 2018